Thursday, October 6, 2016

PAINTING THE FLORAL WREATH FOR WEDDING INVITATION IN WATERCOLOR AND MORE


Watercolor floral wreath is on trend now. I’ve seen it a lot on my facebook newsfeed, a watercolor wreath for wedding invitations and for beautiful quotes with a nice calligraphy on it.

I find it interesting and said “I can do it!” without a doubt I got my watercolor supplies right on that day! Like most of you, I’m frustrated in painting floral as well.

At first, everything looked structured in my first stage of painting and most of the times I find my flowers were blob. However, with a regular practice, I was able to get it right. I still have a lot to learn in this watercolor medium because watercolor is the perfect medium for painting floral wreath.

I find it super relaxing. I can turn on my favorite piano music list while painting, have some a cup of milk or a glass of fresh juice for refreshing, and be inspired of the beautiful natures that surrounds me. I can go out and capture those beautiful flowers sometimes I pick flowers along the way and bring it with me at home. Of course, I asked permission when picking flowers. ;)

Okay. Let's start painting.

SUPPLIES NEEDED:

  • Watercolor paints - I'm using Prang Watercolor. I got it at National Bookstore.
  • Watercolor brush - I’m using the No. 6 Prang brush attached in my Prang Watercolor.
  • Watercolor paper/pad - If you can’t find Watercolor paper in your area like in my case, I recommend to use Sketchbook with 135gsm as alternative. If you can find paper has 135gsm above, much better. Keep in mind when using this type of paper in watercolor because it’s very tricky and meticulous. 
  • Pencil and eraser
  • Glass with water
  • Mixing plate
  • Any Oval shape object


DRAWING OVAL SHAPE IN PENCIL.

Using my 135gsm Sketchbook, I start by drawing a light oval shape with pencil for my flower wreath. To make a fairly even oval shape on which to paint the border of flowers and leaves, I find an object slightly smaller than my paper. I use oval shape plastic lunchbox to trace around the edge. I keep in mind that I will have room painting for flowers and leaves and not touch the edge of the paper.

PLACEMENT OF THE FLOWERS AND LEAVES.

I draw lightly where I want to place the flowers. I think of the wreath as a clock face and paint bunched of the flowers at 4, 5, and 6 o’clock position. I make sure that the leaves and stems balance out the flowers.


PAINTING THE FLOWERS AND LEAVES.

I paint the center of a flower first using a dark color paint and creating a small circle to lighter color making sure that I paint some areas darker and some lighter to give some depth to my painting. Using the Prang Watercolor and mixing plate, mix red violet with a small amount of violet to create the darker petal color, and red violet with an amount of water for the lighter petal color. I paint the flowers, using the No. 6 Prang brush. Finally, I fill in between the flowers with leaves painted in light green and darker green, using the No. 6 Prang brush. 


FINISH AND READY FOR SCANNING.

When I finished painting my wreath and is already dry, I remove any traces of the pencil using my eraser and scan it into my computer to use on wedding invitation card.



DESIGNING IN PHOTOSHOP.

When done scanning my floral wreath painting, I work on designing the wedding invitation. I chose fonts that will complement the look of my hand-painted floral wreath. This is can be done in Photoshop. Happy Painting and Designing! 



Get my Watercolor Wedding Invitation Hand-Painted Floral Wreath 

Photoshop PSD Template  

1 comment:

  1. These invitation cards are so inspiring. The watercolor work is superb. Thanks a lot for sharing these ideas here. Anyways, my sister will get married soon at the local wedding venues in LA and she wants to have rustic themed ceremony. If you have rustic inspired wedding card ideas, please share here.

    ReplyDelete